Cookies are small text files that are placed on your machine to help the site provide a better user experience. In general, cookies are used to retain user preferences, store information for things like shopping carts, and provide anonymised tracking data to third-party applications like Google Analytics. As a rule, cookies will make your browsing experience better. However, you may prefer to disable cookies on this site and on others. The most effective way to do this is to disable cookies in your browser. We suggest consulting the Help section of your browser or taking a look at the About Cookies website which offers guidance for all modern browsers.
What are cookies?
Cookies are small snippets of text that a website asks your browser to store. All cookies have expiration dates in them that determine how long they stay in your browser. Cookies can be removed in two ways: automatically, when they expire, or when you manually delete them.
You can delete, remove or opt-out of cookies.
Use the privacy settings in your browser to do this. Your browser help section will tell you how to do this.
Types of Cookie?
- Session cookies – Are temporary cookies that expire (and are automatically erased) whenever you close your browser. These are the type used when you log into a site so you can comment or interact.
- Persistent cookies – These stay in your browser until they expire, or until you manually delete them. One usage of these is to help commercial websites understand usage patterns so they can improve the site for their customers.
- Essential cookies – these cookies are all first party cookies that are essential for the operation of websites. For example, some cookies allow websites to identify subscribers so they can access the subscription pages.
- Functional cookies – Functional cookies also make sure the website looks consistent as well as allowing them to analyze site usage in order to measure and improve performance.
- Advertising cookies – these cookies allow you to share pages with social networks should you wish to do so. They also enable our advertisers to serve you with relevant advertisements that may interest you using online behavioral advertising (OBA). They are sometimes referred to as ‘behaviourally targeted advertising cookies’ and track information such as which websites you visit and build a profile based on your interests.
There may be limited third-party cookies on our site that fall into the ‘Advertising cookies’ category. These cookies could be session or persistent and are set by entities other than Shop the UK. To ensure compliance with our policies, we restrict the use of third-party cookies to trusted partners.
For example, we currently allow:
- Doubleclick (Google) for our advertisers on our website, who set cookies in order to control frequency of advertising and to target advertising to the right section or geographic region.
- In addition, we use functional cookies for Audience measurement and validation. We use services such as Google Analytics to understand how many people visit us and what is popular, which helps us improve the website.
If you would like to learn more about how advertisers use these types of cookies, please visit
http://www.youronlinechoices.eu if you are based in the EU.
http://www.aboutads.info/choices/ If you are based in the United States
The Website is an information only website. We do not require you to register, subscribe or sign in to use our site, nor do we require you to give us any Personally Identifiable Information (PII), users of our site are our visitors not our customers.
We do not sell products or services or take payments via The Website any purchases made will be from third parties who may advertise on The Website or be linked affiliates.
We advise you to check the terms, conditions and polices of any such third party as we cannot accept liabilities incurred for any transaction financial of otherwise resulting in a transaction or contract entered with any third party website or business or company or individual linked to from The Website.
These are mediated and any we identify as inappropriate or offensive we will delete without publishing.
To communicate with Shop the UK use e-mail via our contact page. Any details you may include in contacting us this way are strictly confidential and will never be related to any third parties unless you send us abusive, offensive, threatening or other such communication which would be in breach of the law and may constitute a criminal offence.
If for whatever reason you feel it is necessary to send The Website private or confidential information it shall be treated in accordance with whatever legislation is in place at that time regarding the reception, storage and handling of such information applicable to The Website.
Please note that we are not responsible for the content of external websites. The Website operates according to the European Principles on OBA.